Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The Big One

Today, I turned 30. 30 years ago I was brand new and fresh to the world. I don't feel so brand new anymore...
I wore a yellow cardigan, a light blue scarf, and an orange bracelet to work today....because I can, and I thought it might feel spring-y. Plus, I figure I may as well, now that I'm inching my way toward crazy old lady. The day was okay, but I have to admit that I am bothered by that number. 30. But, what's a girl to do? They bought me Chipotle for lunch at work and decorated my cube. Mom and Dad gave me a "What was happening in 1979" book/card that was cute and vintage-y looking. That's right. Vintage. Jas worked, so we didn't get to hang out, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me that he had to work on my birthday evening. He got me some really nice gifts too....but it doesn't look like my dream lens - the Canon 50mm f1.8 will become mine quite yet. Bummer. Like a lot of things today, I'm gonna have to get over it.
I did have fun over the weekend at my "surprise" birthday party. I knew we were doing something, but not what, or where, or with whom. We ate at Ol' Mexico (holy yum!) and then went to Grumpy's for more cocktails and lots and lots of karaoke. The night itself was fun, but there were quite a few people that Jason had said were planning on coming that didn't show. I didn't really feel bad about it until the next day, and I know stuff happens. Whoa. I'll try to keep the self-pity in check for the rest of this post...
I sang lots of times. "Chain of Fools", "Proud Mary", "Wasted" -the Carrie Underwood tune (yes, I was quite tipsy to sing country), and "Summer Lovin'"with David. Karaoke is my new drug of choice. We actually closed down the bar - I haven't done that since college. Luckily, I felt fine on Sunday, otherwise I would have been really upset if I couldn't function. And I am so, so grateful to Jason for planning everything, and for my pals that partied with me. It was a momentous occasion that will not be forgotten.
Here's some shots of the evening - thanks Allison and Dave!








5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy bday, you young thing! I'm coveting the 50mm as my next lens, too. Don't think the Easter Bunny will be bringing it to me, but I'm hoping for Mother's Day!

Davinie Fiero said...

ayiyiyi. I could never do karaoke! You go! Such a young woman thing to do (wink, wink).
Just so you know, I was pregnant with my youngest when I turned 30, so I couldn't have a drink, but my hubby took me out for italian and I had heartburn instead. So it could definitely be worse.
Chin up! :)

vtpuggirl said...

Happy Birthday! I love that line, inching toward crazy old lady. Me too, me too!

Lyn said...

Happy happy birthday to you! I had loads of strange thoughts on my 30th too, this year I couldn't remember if I was 31 or 32, so I suppose it all gets better from here... :)

*reyanna* said...

Happy belated birthday! Looks like you had a blast! :)

Post a Comment